2013-01-17 ILC Chapel — Pray often and with confidence…
Philippians 1:19–20 (Listen)
19 for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, 20 as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.
Hymn: TLH 454 :
Prayer is the Soul’s Sincere Desire
1. Prayer is the soul’s sincere desire,
Unuttered or exprest,
The motion of a hidden fire
That trembles in the breast.
2. Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
The falling of a tear,
The upward glancing of an eye,
When none but God is near.
3. Prayer is the simplest form of speech
That infant lips can try;
Prayer the sublimest strains that reach
The Majesty on high.
4. Prayer is the contrite sinner’s voice
Returning from his ways,
While angels in their songs rejoice
And cry, “Behold, he prays!”
5. Prayer is the Christian’s vital breath,
The Christian’s native air,
His watchword at the gates of death–
He enters heaven with prayer.
6. The saints in prayer appear as one
In word and deed and mind,
While with the Father and the Son
Sweet fellowship they find.
7. Nor prayer is made by man alone–
The Holy Spirit pleads,
And Jesus on th’ eternal throne
For sinners intercedes.
8. O Thou by whom we come to God,
The Life, the Truth, the Way,
The path of prayer Thyself hast trod–
Lord, teach us how to pray.